Sweet Itch: Causes, Symptoms & Solutions
Summer Seasonal Recurrent Dermatitis (also called “sweet itch” or “summer itch”) often causes a lot of distress for both horses and their people between April and November. Sweet itch is an allergic reaction to the saliva from bug bites, mainly from midges, but also from sandflies or certain species of black flies. The reaction causes itchiness and swelling, which often lead to infected sores when horses scratch themselves raw.
Many Springtime customers take a multi-pronged approach to treating sweet itch. First, they give Bug Off Garlic to repel midges and other biting insects (garlic also supports the immune system). Secondly, they use Spirulina Wafers™ for its natural antihistamine, anti-inflammatory and healing properties. These products can provide soothing comfort for agitated, suffering horses.
The earlier these products are introduced, the better, because it only takes one bite from a midge to inflame a horse’s system. Many customers choose to feed these products year-round to avoid this onset. However, even customers who start late in the season have reported good results from using the Bug Off Garlic and Spirulina Wafers together, even if it takes a few weeks to get into the system.
Nutritious raw blue-green microalgae to maintain the body's immune, circulatory, and detoxifying systems. Great support for normal, healthy allergy response.
• Effective for seasonal support
• Helps maintain proper immune system function
• Supports healthy liver & kidney in their detoxifying & restorative functions
• Helps support the body's natural healing process
Human-grade garlic granules provide a safe, 24-hour shield against flies, ticks, mosquitoes, gnats, and other biting insects. Excellent for horse-fly control!
• Provides a 24-hour shield against flies, ticks, mosquitoes, gnats, etc
• No "spray on" hassles
• Safe, effective alternative to chemical products
• Promotes friendly bacteria in the digestive tract (prebiotic)
• Great source of dietary sulfur, including MSM
• Supports a healthy immune system
Flowers are a natural food of horses, and the flower pollen they contain can help sustain a healthy springtime bloom all year long. Live enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals support breeding, digestion, muscle, hooves, and coat.
• Can help maintain a healthy digestive system even during a lack of grazing
• Pollen (male germ cell of plants) supports healthy muscle condition
• Helps keep blood count healthy
• Natural food of stallions, mares & foals – totally safe & beneficial for performance, breeding, and high stress situations
• Bee pollen is one of the rare foods that contains all 22 nutrients that are essential for perfect health to close any nutritional gaps
• Naturally contains vitamins, minerals, protein, amino acids, carotenoids, bioflavonoids, phytosterols, fatty acids, and live enzymes
What Our Customers Say About Springtime Products for Sweet Itch...
No More Welts, Sweet Itch
Our two-year-old colt, SFC Pride's Brio, had such potential, but every bug bite resulted in big welts, which did not go down. We wanted to show the colt in conformation classes but were concerned about the big welts over his body. Since the Spirulina Wafers™ and Bug Off Garlic worked so well for his mother, we started him on them going into his second year. What a difference! Not only does he not get new bumps but also the old, existing ones have all disappeared. In fact, our veterinarians are amazed at what these products have done. It's been a real success story for SFC Pride's Brio, who won 1st place in the 2-4 year old conformation at the Stones River championship this year.
Kathy Veatch, Tennessee